Friday, February 3, 2012

#27 of 50 "The Cotton Club"

"The Cotton Club", Watercolor, Acrylic & Ink, 5"x 5"    Available
"The Cotton Club" Duke Ellington's Band at The Cotton Club: He had a way of reinventing himself and his music, using Jazz to evoke certain emotions, or to describe certain places and situations musically. This painting just happened smoothly and appeared before me. I did try a painting about 15 years ago with the Cotton Club sign in it. It didn't ever get finished. I found it in my pile of "Works in Progress" and I don't even know what the design was suppose to be. The only clear part of it was the Cotton Club sign. There were no instruments in it and so it went obviously nowhere. This one includes 3 instruments and I hope it evokes certain emotions or describes certain places or situations just as Duke Ellington tried to do.    

No comments:

Post a Comment